RE: Interesting new spam technique - getting a lot more popular.

  • From: Edward B. DREGER
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 01:28:56 2006

JvO> Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:35:14 -0700
JvO> From: John van Oppen

JvO> It sure seems like this is a good demo of the best practice of
JvO> having customers on their own VLANs with their own subnets.   We
JvO> have been doing this since we started offering colo services, is

We actually go so far as to isolate certain services on their own
subnet/VLAN.

JvO> this less common than I thought?

I'm afraid so.  I've worked on a good many networks where everything is
in one VLAN; a common argument for the practice is IP assignment
granularity.  Rarely do I find MAC ACLs in place at the switch.  (I'm
actually trying to remember a specific installation that had MAC
filtering set up by a prior engineer... I'm _sure_ I've encountered at
least a couple.)

Note that these observations are for small- and mid-sized networks.
Maybe things are better in the larger networks.  YMMV.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/