Re: Interesting new spam technique - getting a lot more popular.

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 00:44:21 2006

On 2006-06-14-00:23:15, "Christopher L. Morrow" <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]
> I assume that dedicated hosting folks don't just drop machines
> behind a switch on one big flat subnet? That's probably a naive
> assumption though

I've long been a proponent of a per-customer VLAN or L3 interface,
depending on what the topology allows for, but I'm afraid we're in the
minority.

>From what I've seen, the overwhelming majority of "dedicated hosters"
do precisely what the article alludes to -- placing hundreds (if not
thousands!) of disparate hosts on the same broadcast domain, with no
safeguards in place to prevent ARP spoofing, IP hijacking, and other
forms of malfeasance...

-a