2006.06.07 NANOG-NOTES DNSSEC bootstrapping with DLV

  • From: Matthew Petach
  • Date: Fri Jun 09 21:15:47 2006

(last notes from NANOG37, yay!  I definitely fell further behind
this time around than in Dallas.  Unfortunately, I don't think
I'll be allowed to go to St. Louis, so I probably won't be
able to provide notes for NANOG38.  --Matt)

2006.06.07 Deploying DNSSEC--bootstrap yourself
Joao Damas, ISC
[notes are at
http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0606/pdf/joao-damas.pdf

DNSSEC status
standard is complete and usable
some minor nits with regards to some privacy issues
2 implementations: NSD, BIND
at least one DNSSEC aware resolver (BIND 9.3.2 and later)

Really, you just need some data.

DNSSEC follows a hierarchical model for signatures.
sign the root zone
get root zone to delegation sign TLDs
get TLDs to delegation-sign SLDs,
etc.

Today, the root zone remains unsigned
 likely will be this way for some time
Very few TLDs have signed their zones and offer
delegation signatures
.se, .ru, .org

DNSSEC provides for local trust anchors
you can use trust-anchors clause in BIND
problem: if you have too many, it becomes a nightmare
to maintain, so it doesn't get used.
very manual process

Enter DLV, domain lookaside validation
it's an implementation feature, not a change to the
 protocol; matter of local policy
enables access to a remote, signed repository of
 trust anchors, via the DNS
implemented in BINDs resolver so far
 more to follow?

unfortunately, requires you to trust remote
repository

DLV lookup
a DLV enabled resolver will try to find a secure
entry point using regular DNSSEC; only if it fails
is DLV used, if it is configured.

[picture of DLV lookup chain]

On resolver (BIND)
add to named.conf
 in the options section
 //DNSSEC conifg
 dnnssec-enable yes
 dnssec-lookaside . trust-anchor dlv.isc.org.;
get the key from ISC's web: http://www.isc.org/ops/dlv

ISC is operating a DLV registry free of charge for anone
who wants to secure their DNS
Likely some closed orgs will use their own (eg mil)
have a look, start using it!

Any questions?

Q: Mark Kosters, Verisign: Any plans to configure DLV
registries per TLD?