Re: 2006.06.05 NANOG-NOTES BGP tools BOF notes

  • From: Bruno Quoitin
  • Date: Wed Jun 07 11:39:44 2006

Matthew Petach wrote:
Q: Randy Bush.  Common problem we all face.  I'm at 42
peering points; my neighbors are X.  I have route views
dumps, I have my BGP dumps.  I have my netflow data.
Want a whatifatron that shows what happens to my
traffic if depeer someone, or add someone, or
peer with SingTel in singapore, or stop peering
with Joe in SF.
That's a question many operators ask every day.
We have such a whatifatron. We used it for instance to investigate the impact of peering/depeering on routing and on traffic in various ISP networks including a large european transit network. Our tool is called C-BGP and some of the what-if scenarios we performed on the GEANT network were described recently in an IEEE Network paper entitled "Modeling the routing of an Autonomous System with C-BGP" (November 2005).

Our tool is able to eat BGP dumps (in MRT format), Cisco/Juniper configs and NetFlow data. It's open-source and released under LGPL. It is still a command-line tool but we are working towards a more user-friendly interface.

Some useful links:
http://cbgp.info.ucl.ac.be
http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~standel/bgp-converter/ -> Cisco/Juniper parser
http://cbgp.info.ucl.ac.be/gui-totem.html -> upcoming GUI
A: Matt notes that if they can solve that question/write
something that does all that, they'll have Arbor and
others beating on their door.  ^_^
If any of you is interested in testing it on its data, please feel free to contact me :-)

Bruno

--
CSE Dept. UCL, Belgium - http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~bqu
Phone: ++32 10 47 24 04 GSM: ++32 498 28 12 21