Re: BCP for Abuse Desk

  • From: Chris Woodfield
  • Date: Fri Jun 02 16:00:49 2006

I've found that the reserving the right to nullroute an offending host's IP address for repeated spam offenses is a good intermediate step between simple notifications and contract/circuit termination. It lets the customer know you mean business while still preserving the customer's account status; if the offender is a web hoster, it winds up being a particularly effective tool, as the threat of collateral damage from other sites hosted on the same IP is pretty compelling.

Of course, it's important to be willing to remove the nullroute as soon as the customer confirms that the problem has been dealt with, otherwise it does effectively become a partial termination of services.

-C