Re: Are botnets relevant to NANOG?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue May 30 11:18:41 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Gadi Evron wrote:
> I honestly want to know why a precise number matters? It will only be
> higher than our facts based upon our different observation points.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/30/us/30identity.html
  Credit card companies point to new monitoring systems that have reduced
  loss from fraud as a percentage of overall transaction volume. At Visa,
  fraud accounted for 7 cents per $100 in transactions, down from 18 cents
  per $100 in 1990. "We could have a system reducing fraud to zero basis
  points, but it wouldn't meet what consumers are demanding," said Rosetta
  Jones, a Visa spokeswoman. "We need to deliver what consumers want in a
  way that is secure."

Zero is probably a bit too optimistic, but the idea is the same.