Re: Are botnets relevant to NANOG?

  • From: Rick Wesson
  • Date: Fri May 26 14:50:58 2006

John,

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that we haven't found a reliable way to identify dynamic blocks. Should anyone point me to an authoritative source I'd be happy to do the analysis and provide some graphs on how dynamic addresses effect the numbers.

also note that we are using TCP fingerprinting in our spamtraps and expect to have some interesting results published in the august/sept time frame. We won't be able to say that a block is dynamic but we will be able to better understand if we talk to the same spammer from different ip addresses and how often those addresses change.

I believe that understanding our tcp fingerprinting of spam senders might be more interesting and relevant to NANOG than how dynamic address assignments discounts the numbers i posted earlier.

-rick

John Kristoff wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2006 10:21:10 -0700