Re: private ip addresses from ISP

  • From: Warren Kumari
  • Date: Wed May 24 14:52:00 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 2:05 AM, [email protected] wrote:
<snip>

So again, I ask the question: Is NANOG an appropriate
forum to develop some best practices text that
could be incorporated into service agreements and
peering agreements by reference in the same way
that a software licence incorporates the GPL
by referring to it?

Ah, I think we all assumed you were kidding when you asked that!

While I think NANOG *should* be the appropriate forum, I don't really think it will be -- there are too many personal agendas -- getting the community to agree on *anything* these days appears to be a losing proposition....

I suspect that a post suggesting we replace IP with a piece of wet spaghetti would:
a: Get n replies agreeing
b: Get n replies disagreeing
c: Possibly generate a post that is trying to be useful.
d: A fish (not a fish anything, just a random posting not related to anything on topic)
e: Spawn a thread screaming "Troll"
f: Get 2n replies asking if that will run on vendor X
g: Get 2n replies suggesting that an alternate root / better SPAM detection / would fix all our woes
h: Generate n^2 ad hominem attack threads.
i: Be sidetracked into a request for a contact for company Y
j: Get misinterpreted [supporting | blasting] someone's pet theory / idea / etc

Even the fairly simple question of whether a network should emit packets with RFC1918 sourced packets (a topic I am declining to comment on) exhibited many of the above. While I think having "some best practices text that could be incorporated into service agreements and peering agreements" would be great I suspect this isn't the forum to generate such a thing -- unless it looks like:

Best Common Practices (please circle appropriate field):

1: Interconnecting networks (agree to always) / (agree to never) / (agree to sometimes) emit packets with RFC1918 addresses
2: Interconnecting networks ( shall) / (shall not ) run some form of RPF
3: Interconnecting networks (will) / (won't) / (might) randomly depeer
etc.

Having "some best practices text that could be incorporated into service agreements and peering agreements" would be great -- lets how about setting up a forum for this?

Warren (who is feeling very grumpy and cynical this morning -- and might take all the above back once the coffee sinks in)

--Michael Dillon

--
"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."
-- Susan, the ultimate sensible governess (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)