Re: 41/8 announcement

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Wed May 24 09:16:33 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 4:37 AM, Richard Mikisa wrote:
[...]
>Turns out the folks at fastweb (Italy) NAT there adsl clients but
>instead of using the rfc1918 space like most people, they use
>unassigned
>global /8s. Well 41/8 is one of there NATted allocations for Turin. No
>amount of emails will get them to respond, calling isn't any better
>as I
>get only Italian speaking people at the other end. Any ideas out
>there?
Yes: you lose, sorry. :-)
Many of their networking people are less than clueful, and I fear that
they are not going to renumber a whole city just to let their customers
communicate with a few African networks...
One of the points of NAT is to make renumbering easy. Silly them.

I have a rule: Your network, your rules. If they want to be disconnected from Africa, you can't stop them. And they are not "hijacking" the /8, it is not announced on the 'Net. This is identical to a null route inside their ASN. I would never dream of telling them they cannot decide which netblocks should be routeable inside their own ASN.

Fortunately, I have another rule: My network, my rules. If someone can find the real addresses for FastWeb uses for the NAT pool and post it here (and other *NOG lists), networks can ensure that FastWeb's end users will be unable to communicate with a lot more than "a few African networks". I think the show of solidarity would be good for the 'Net.

--
TTFN,
patrick