Re: ISP compliance < LEAs - tech and logistics [was: snfc21 snifferdocs]

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Tue May 23 21:27:17 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 05:39:26 -0500 (CDT), Gadi Evron <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > Wired posted what are suppossedly the docs Mark Klein wrote 'bout the
> > NSA sniffing project.  Interesting read...
> >
> > http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/att_klein_wired.pdf
> >
> > John
>
> Indeed. To be honest, I am more interested in NANOG-related operational
> issues involved, which I am not sure many here will be able to discuss in
> case they had experience on the subject. So let us put privacy and legal
> issues aside for the purpose of this discussion.
>
> How does a service provider handle the requirement to meet a law
> enforcement agency with their wiretapping needs? The logistics and
> technology can be exerting, annoying and business-wise, even prohibiting.

In the US, see 18 USC 2518(4):

	Any provider of wire or electronic communication service,
	landlord, custodian or other person furnishing such facilities or
	technical assistance shall be compensated therefor by the
	applicant for reasonable expenses incurred in providing such
	facilities or assistance.