Re: How to tell if something is anycasted?

  • From: Edward Lewis
  • Date: Wed May 17 13:51:54 2006

At 15:45 -0700 5/16/06, Steve Gibbard wrote:

The approach I settled on was to ask lots of questions, and then do some
traceroutes to verify once I knew where to look.  If I knew there was supposed
to be a server in location x, a looking glass near location x would probably
find it for me.
From my experience, passively detecting how something is assembled on the Internet has gotten harder with each passing year. Whether it is from intentional obfuscation or just evolutionary new operational practices, you can tell a lot less about a set up now that in the past.

What Steve says is the right thing to do. Get off-net ask questions and then verify on-net. Not just for anycasting, for just about anything. The network is a lot less obvious that it used to be. For better or worse, depending on your point of view.

Edward Lewis +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

Nothin' more exciting than going to the printer to watch the toner drain...