Re: How to tell if something is anycasted?

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Wed May 17 11:13:00 2006

At 10:45 AM 5/17/2006, [email protected] wrote:

well Peter, ONE root server operator has that practice.  Others
have different practices regarding anycast.

--bill

And there are many, with many TLD's.
(rough counts)

provider/tld's

UDNS 48
ISC 19
PCH 8
PSG 23
ICANN 4
UUNET 61
RIPE 87
DEC 10
NIC.FR 71

Note: There is cross servicing of TLDs counted above.

Some numbers may seem low since there seems to be some bit of
obfuscation. Or perhaps not and I just haven't confirmed.

Some are anycasted, some appear to be physical separations, and some
appear to be nested and anycasted i.e. multiple names for the same domain
anycasted.

I think naming is a bad choice because it's costly to the users and opens
the root up to custom configuration by customers which I think is bad.

Tagging the route with a community containing the ISO corresponding country
could be interesting for location purposes, but of course, that's already
been thought of. :)

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan (c) 617-388-2663