Re: Geo location to IP mapping

  • From: Charles Cala
  • Date: Tue May 16 14:37:13 2006

--- Marshall Eubanks <[email protected]> wrote:
 (snip)
> You can't do geolocation using network timing to much better than
> about 10 milliseconds because
> you don't control either paths or the routers etc. in those paths.
> (This requires absolute timing;
> differential measurements can be better and useful for some things,
> but they won't give you location.)
  (snip)

I'm in total agreement with you, (IMHO) its crap science at best,
who the hell cares about where you are on the earth...

what matters where on the network _is your access point_,
if you are in small-cuty.kr and your vpn endpoint is in
sf.ba.ca.us , the closest "interweb" server (using network topology)
is going to probably be in ca.us, not the one in .jp .

to try to use geo-ip data in the real world is to add
a small tool to to your kit. geo-ip is a feather duster,
not a leatherman.