Re: MEDIA: ICANN rejects .xxx domain

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Mon May 15 05:12:31 2006

[email protected] wrote:
But there's no technical advantage of a hierarchical system over a
simple hashing scheme, they're basically isomorphic other than a hash
system can more easily be tuned to a particular distribution goal.
Amazing how many experienced people seem to be saying this isn't
possible,
given there are already schemes out there using flat namespaces for
large
problems (e.g. Skype, freenet, various file sharing systems). Most of
these
are also far more dynamic than the DNS in nature, and most have no
management
overhead with them, you run the software and the namespace "just works".
djbdns with its hashing technique could do that but Bind 9 would break.

There is still the problem wich single point would manage that database.

According to your description, this is a hierarchical naming
system. At the top level you have Skype, freenet, etc.
defining separate namespaces. Because DNS was intended to be
a universal naming system, it had to incorporate the hierarchy
into the system.

However I think the pain in DNS for most people is the hierarchy, but
the
diverse registration systems. i.e. It isn't that it is delegated, it is
that
delegates all "do their own thing".
Seems to me that this is part of the definition
of "delegate". Some would say that this makes for
a more robust system than a monolithic hierarchy
where everyone has to toe the party line.

I've always pondered doing a flat, simple part of the DNS, or even an overlay, but of course it needs a business model of sorts.
It has been tried at least twice and failed.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/05/13/realnames_goes_titsup_com/
http://www.idcommons.net

--Michael Dillon

It seems to work now. Just google for

Apple: Rendezvous and Bonjour

There are libs for linux and Microsoft too.

Both Rendezvous and Bonjour are working.

There is an incompatible version from Microsoft too, some say
it is vaporware but I can still their queries for '.local' on
our nameservers.

Cheers
Peter and Karin Dambier

--