Re: MEDIA: ICANN rejects .xxx domain

  • From: Robert Bonomi
  • Date: Thu May 11 14:02:17 2006

> From [email protected]  Thu May 11 12:41:20 2006
> Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:40:22 -0400
> From: Alain Hebert <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: MEDIA: ICANN rejects .xxx domain

And _that_ is *precisely* "why not".  <grin>

When you figure out _how_ to accomplish the 'and' part of your statement,
*world-wide*, and _how_long_ it would take to do so, *AND*CAN*GET*UNIVERSAL*
*AGREEMENT* about what has to be inside the coral(sic), well, then, and -only-
then can one consider 'what _useful_ purpose' such a TLD would serve.

Note also: attempting to impose additional restrictions on _existant_,
registered domains would likely constitute breach of contract.  With
big liabilities attached --  look at what the hijacking of 'sex.com' ended
up costing the registrar that let it happen.

Restricting future domain registrations _in_an_exsiting_TLD_ raises a
separate can of worms, regarding existing registry operator and registrar
contracts.