Re: Anycast applicable to Radius Server Farm ?

  • From: Joe Shen
  • Date: Mon May 08 11:24:52 2006

> Can you indicate in more detail what the problems
> were with the L4
> switch?

We seperate our Radius servers into two farms, each
farm has a L4 switch in front. To our understanding,
radius authentication info. and accounting info. of a
PPPoE session should be processed by the same Radius
server. So, although L4 switch provides a single IP
for BRAS configuration  each BRAS is specified a real
server IP in L4 switch. So, there comes the problem:

1) Load is not balanced automatically  but by human
estimation; there is server whose load is twice of
some other server.

2) L4 switch becomes bottleneck of service
availability. In past years, L4 switch caused several
times of service failure. Just last friday, L4 switch
does not repond to any network packets while its
ethernet interface seems OK.

3) As L4 switch is the only entrance to a single
server farm, DoS attack or some other kind of software
bug  will surely degrade security level. While, a farm
using ECMP rely on server groups to resist DoS attack.

4) Maintence is a little bit costy.  Any maintence ,
no matter on radius server or on L4 switch, need a
scheduled time window.

5) Service protection is hard ( as you mentioned as
'cascade' one). As there are two server farms, if one
farm failed it takes ten or more minute to migrate
those Radius traffic to the other farm. This is
unacceptable.

So, we consider to find a more scable, reliable,
secure and automatic  multi-farm radius solution.

Joe