Re: Tier 2 - Lease?

  • From: Todd Underwood
  • Date: Wed May 03 11:42:43 2006

so annoying.

people keep trying to add several non-tier-1 providers in there.

cogent 174 :  no.  buys transit from 2914 (NTT america/verio)
btn 3491 : no.  buys from savvis 3561 i believe
ft 5511 : no.  buys from sprint 1239

i'm pretty sure i saw some other silly ones in there, too, but i can't
remember what they are at this point.

the annoying cogent edits are coming from 72.66.2.5
(pool-72-66-2-5.washdc.fios.verizon.net), and they're persistent, so
as is the normal case with wikipedia, the most fanatical person wins
and the truth is hopefully somewhere near by.  hopefully this person
will soon tire.

for the moment, the list looks mostly or completely correct.

to underline a point made previously though:  Tier-1 is a routing
architecture term that doesn't have any useful direct bearing in how
best to select a service provider.  some of the best service providers
in the world are not "tier-1" and some of the worst are ( i won't name
members of either camp.).

t.

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:06:52AM -0400, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> At 01:58 AM 5/3/2006, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>
> >On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:38:22PM -0700, Robert Sherrard wrote:
> >>
> >> What make a provider a tier 2, versus a tier 1 provider...
> >>
> >> Is it possible to determine who a tier 2 (i.e. Cogent) leases fiber from?
> >
> >It has absolutely nothing to do with fiber.
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_carrier
> >
> >As of this exact moment that I'm posting, that article is actually
> >reasonably accurate. Of course I'm sure in 5 minutes 100 people will be
> >updating it to include their favorite not-really-a-tier-1 carrier. :)
>

> Someone added Cogent as a Tier 1, and there are others missing so I'd
> ignore the "who" is a tier 1 portion.
>
> -M<
>

> --
> Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
> Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
> Member of Technical Staff                      Network Operations
>                                                [email protected]

todd underwood                                 +1 603 643 9300 x101
renesys corporation                            chief of operations & security
[email protected]                               http://www.renesys.com/blog/todd.shtml