Re: Multi ISP DDOS

  • From: Tim Pozar
  • Date: Tue May 02 22:29:01 2006

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 06:40:43PM -0700, Tim Pozar wrote:
>
>>UL is seeing a large DDOS coming towards a couple of customers of ours.
>> I know that other ISPs have been affected as well.  I will let them
>>identify them selves.
>>
>>Anyone have any scoop on this?
>

> A) I don't think anyone knows who UL is by that reference alone (I assume
>    you mean united layer).
>
> B) The DoS target is Livejournal.
>
> C) As an upstream of an upstream of LJ I'm barely seeing 150Mbps or so of
>    it. No indications of exactly how big it is by the time it hits them,
>    but at least from my perspective it doesn't seem like a huge attack.
>
> Hope it stops soon though, a sustained livejournal outage is probably
> grounds for at least 4-5 suicides by distraught teenagers who can't blog
> about their day. :)

Ya... I have been chatting with the folks at SixApart about this.  This
is one of the folks attacked.  It looks like there may have been others.

Tim
--
1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA // POTS: +1 415 665 3790
 GPG Fingerprint: 4821 CFDA 06E7 49F3 BF05  3F02 11E3 390F 8338 5B04
                Life is playful - Ben Olizar
begin:vcard
fn:Tim Pozar
n:Pozar;Tim
org:UnitedLayer LLC
adr:Suite 110;;200 Paul Avenue;San Francisco;CA;94124-3100;US
email;internet:[email protected]
title:COO
tel;work:415-349-2112
tel;home:415-665-3790
tel;cell:415-637-8512
note:"Be who you are and say what you feel because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
url:http://www.unitedlayer.com
version:2.1
end:vcard