Re: Poll

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Apr 27 22:54:44 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:05:44 EDT, "Jon R. Kibler" said:

This survey has some problems..

>    1) What do you believe will be the next major security threat that we will
> face in the next 12 to 18 months?

You need to clarify if you mean problematic vectors (like "yet another ActiveX
bug"), or what's driving it ("hackers paid by <insert country> organized crime").

>    2) What do you believe will be the top 5 (or 10, if your list is that
> long) emerging security threats we will face over then next 3 years to 5 years?

If we think a specific threat will be #1 among *new* ones, but not be over 7 or 8
overall, how do we rank that?

But I'll give you a freebie for the guaranteed #1 - organizations that waste their
security budget guarding against "movie plot" threats rather than real issues...

> (Emphasis on 'emerging' -- threats not on most people's radar today.)

Hate to tell you this, but *todays* threats aren't on most people's radar today.
Heck, some of them are still trying to wrap their brains around things that we
knew about in the late 60s (like "don't run everything as sysadmin").

And do you mean "most security professionals" or "most actual Joe Sixpacks" when
you ask about "most people"?