RE: data center space

  • From: Edward B. DREGER
  • Date: Tue Apr 25 15:21:37 2006

LD> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:43:51 +1000
LD> From: Lincoln Dale

LD> I suggest you talk to some of the folks you work with that have to
LD> deal with synchronous replication.
LD>
LD> In the world of storage networking & synchronous I/O, typically
LD> anything higher than 1 msec round-trip latency is too high.

This is a big can of worms that's probably OT for NANOG -- not to
mention likely outside most readers' realm of experience.  It _is_ an
interesting field, though.  I recommend the Morgan Kauffman book series
as a good introduction.

One also could argue the necessity and sufficiency of synchronous I/O in
and of itself.  There's a good deal of work, both published and strictly
"in the lab" dealing with transactional commit mechanisms.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/