Re: Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

  • From: Jeff Shultz
  • Date: Fri Apr 07 17:51:23 2006

Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
GPS.dix.dk service is described as:

DK Denmark GPS.dix.dk (192.38.7.240)
Location: Lyngby, Denmark
Geographic Coordinates: 55:47:03.36N, 12:03:21.48E
Synchronization: NTP V4 GPS with OCXO timebase
Service Area: Networks BGP-announced on the DIX
Access Policy: open access to servers, please, no client use
Contacts: Poul-Henning Kamp ([email protected])
Note: timestamps better than +/-5 usec.

I think he should use dns views to answer the queries to gps.dix.dk and either:
( a ) answer 127.0.0.1 to all queries from outside his service area
( b ) answer a D-Link IP address to all queries from outside his
service area (which could lead to getting their attention; dunno if
from their engineers or from their lawyers).
Neither of which would solve the problem of his bandwidth being used by these, although (b) might actually serve to get their attention.

Perhaps as a thanks to him for the public service he provides the DIX, all of the users at DIX could set their external routers to reject incoming NTP packets from networks other than their own? Or even combine that with (b), although it might be more effective if it targeted, oh, www.dlink.com instead of an IP address.

Then at least it would not be taking up internal DIX bandwidth capacity.

By no means am I encouraging legally actionable activity, however, and as noted, (b) just might be.

--
Jeff Shultz