Re: OT: Xen

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Apr 03 12:34:19 2006

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 08:50:51 PDT, Eric Frazier said:

> Speaking of commercial support, I have been looking really closely at using
> Solaris 10 which includes Zones.
> But there has been so much press lately about Xen. And from what I read in
> Linux mag recently there is HW support that totally changes how efficient
> Xen can be.

Solaris shops are going to find Zones useful.  Linux shops are going to find
Xen useful. However, I severely doubt that Zones are going to attract any Linux
shops, or that Xen will be enough to make Solaris shops convert.

And the shops that are so totally Java/PHP/Perl/whatever that it doesn't matter
if they're on Solaris or Linux will end up choosing whatever hosting solution
costs them the least per month...