Re: AT&T: 15 Mbps Internet connections "irrelevant"

  • From: Simon Lockhart
  • Date: Sat Apr 01 15:59:40 2006

On Sat Apr 01, 2006 at 08:43:54PM +0000, Edward B. DREGER wrote:
> I'm curious how program content is currently stored.  (Note that I'm
> totally ignoring live broadcast.)  If MPEG-2, I'd guess conversion to
> MPEG-4 might produce less-than-desirable image quality.

Whilst MPEG-2 for broadcast purposes will be in the 3-5Mbps range, MPEG-2
for archival/storage will be at a significantly higher bitrate. If you're
storing at high bitrate MPEG-2, the transcoding to MPEG-4 will have much
better results than if you transcoded from broadcast quality MPEG-2.

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart | * Sun Server Colocation * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |    * Domain & Web Hosting * Internet Consultancy *