Re: AT&T: 15 Mbps Internet connections "irrelevant"

  • From: David Lesher
  • Date: Sat Apr 01 08:04:21 2006

> But I think Mr. Stephenson's point was a network bottleneck is not always
> based on the access link speed some ISPs put in their advertising.

> There are also differences in how people use the network.  Power
> users and gamers are looking for any edge they can get.  Casual users
> may be more price sensitive and may not perceive enough of a difference
> between 6Mbps and 16Mbps for what they do.  If you consider it from a
> marketing point of view rather than a technical point of view, if you
> are a mass marketer where do you find the biggest target markets?
> Wal-Mart targets a specific price point and target market and is very
> successful even though it doesn't sell ultra high-end goods.

At the same time, the providers are cutting off users who actually
do consume any fraction of the advertised capacity:

	British telecommunications giant BT has sent letters
	to more than 3,000 of its broadband customers who use
	especially excessive amounts of bandwidth. The customers
	have been told that they could lose their connections
	altogether if they do not moderate their use of the
	service or pay extra.

And
	http://www.evdoforums.com/about1004-0-asc-15.html

for a thread about EVDO usage.

--
A host is a host from coast to [email protected]