RE: recommendations regarding IPS

  • From: Edward W. Ray
  • Date: Fri Mar 31 22:29:45 2006

> Except for one network I have been in charge with I have
> never found the need for any I[DP]S product and find them an
> almost complete waste of time and money.

Agreed, they just for people to "feel" more secure.  I use it because I got
one free for selling a bunch to customers who needed them to satisfy various
regulatory requirements.  Other than SQL Slammer and the occasional HTTP PHP
exploit attempts, I rarely see anything of consequence.

Edward W. Ray
CISSP, MCSE+Security, P.E., SANS GCIA Gold, SANS GCIH Gold
President
NetSec Design & Consulting
http://www.netsecdesign.com
(714) 997-9226