Re: Backbone Monitoring Tools

  • From: Jim Trocki
  • Date: Wed Mar 29 08:11:10 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

I use snmpstatd - snmpstat.sf.net .

Oooh, looks nice!

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Ashe Canvar

 2. actively detect routing changes / failover to redundant paths using
traceroutes
     i.e. alert if  SFO->CHG->NYC changes to SFO->LXE->HOU->NYC
     ( link state protocols suck as far as testing backup paths go)
Ashe,

I've done this using "mon" (http://www.kernel.org/software/mon/). It comes with
two traceroute monitors which remember the past paths and alert when that path
changes. In fact, one of the monitors can even detect load-balanced alternate
paths, e.g. if there are multiple possible intermediate paths during normal
operation.

You'll want to look at the latest 1.1 release from CVS:

    http://www.kernel.org/software/mon/development.html

3. actively transfer a fixed file
   i.e. draw a datarate grid between every datacenter and every other
datacenter
In fact, I belive people have done precisely this with mon before.
Try asking on the mailing list, I'm quite sure someone will respond.

I am in a buy vs. build debate with my boss ;)
Build! I think mon gets you at least 90% to where you want to go.