Re: Abovenet vs UUnet

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Tue Mar 28 08:59:40 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 8:42 AM, Peter Cohen wrote:

On 3/27/06, andrew matthews <[email protected]> wrote:
So here is the deal, I've delt with both uunet and abovenet (mfn now)
in the past. And a long time ago i switched from abovenet to uunet
when i was with a different company.

Now i'm with a company that has level 3 and Abovenet. Currently the
way the pricing is layed out is by staying with abovenet i'll save
about $1300 over UUnet. Money isn't too much of a concern currently
abovenet is much higher but we are at the time were we need to renew
our contract and we got it with a lower price.

So which way? Abovenet or UUnet.. what are the pros and cons that
you've experienced and what kind of latency do you have over the
providers.
Why don't you put together an RFP that addresses your most important
requirements and send it out to several networks in order to get a
basis from which to compare them, not just on price?    I mentioned a
few weeks ago that an RFP would be a good basis from which to compare
different networks objectively, instead of what opinions people might
have with any given provider.   Also, where you are could eliminate or
"no bid" some responses due to their congestion, lack of network
there, etc...    I hope that helps!  There has to be some generic
rfp's floating around the net that you can copy from (or not).    Good
luck.
Why would someone believe what the networks tell them over what other _users'_ experiences are? You say it is a good basis for comparison, but I have trouble believing that - unless you mean: "A good basis to see which network's marketing department is better."

If I were doing things like leased lines or dark fiber - something more objective and not quite such a moving target - an RFP might make sense. For things like transit, you need real people who know how networks really react to real problems, how networks really pass real packets, how clueful real network NOC techs are, etc., etc. None of these are covered in RFPs (despite what the networks might tell you).

So thanx for the suggestion, but I think I'll stick with _customer_ feedback rather than what the networks want to tell me themselves.

Also, many networks will not respond to an RFP for the levels of traffic people here are considering.

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. This is not a slam on Peter just 'cause Telia is proud of their RFP response department. If you have to go the RFP route, it's nice to know that there's a network out there who is good at responding to them.