Re: Security control in DSL access network

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Mon Mar 27 08:20:47 2006

Maybe you're just baiting trolls, and granted, I haven't had my coffee yet. But let's try to be perfectly straight up here. At the very least, you're making a big assumption here, and that is that there are no EMS in charge of managing configurations and no provisioning system to trigger and not triggering EMS configuration management. In effect, service provisioning doesn't exist in what you describe.

While OSS in carrier settings often -- put politely -- leave a lot to be desired, that is -- politely put -- a bit absurd. That would seem to be a very flawed at scale when you're talking 10's of thousands of DSLAMs, not to mention that it is really not matching reality in a carrier setting (rather than small time provider or other type of hack). There may have been periods in the past where that was true, but it is certainly not state of the art during any period of the recent past. This type of provisioning actually has been around as flow through provisioning for a while, and the flow specifically touches the port a customer would be provisioned on. The day this functionality arrived seems to generally have coincided within a relatively short period around offering variable DSL sync speeds, and it would simply be a business necessity for offering such service variants. Quite frankly, in such a world, anything more than a field crew making the device available to NMS is total overkill and a waste of time, multiplied by 10K's of DSLAMs, for a few actually provisioned customers.

Btw, if you don't mind, please point out to me a large scale deployment that actually has 10's of thousands of live customers on a single DSLAM or which DSLAM you propose this is even physically possible, as well as anticipated engineered bit rates for such a deployment.

Best regards,
Christian