Re: New depths in phishing

  • From: David Ulevitch
  • Date: Fri Mar 24 11:27:16 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Lucy E. Lynch wrote:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, David Ulevitch wrote:

On Mar 24, 2006, at 6:50 AM, Lucy E. Lynch wrote:

edu skimming - try http://umich.edu.com/
While it's kinda lame it is far from a phishing site. They even say on the submit form: "Yes! I'd like additional information from College.us.com and its marketing partners." Chances are that you will actually get something from UMich (along with a bunch of other junk too no doubt).

Phishing is bad enough as it is, let's not broaden its definition to include all things we find uncool.
actually, this is cross posted from the UNISOG list, and the schools
in question have no connection with this and get no referrals from collected data.
Your admissions office is misleading you or you just haven't asked them or they don't care to answer you. They pull leads from many sources including the College Board and numerous others. Many of those sources aggregate their data from places like this and flyers in high schools, reps and all kinds of junk. If you are really concerned, tell your school CSO to talk to Admissions and get some details. I think Admissions and Alumni Relations workers probably compete with each other over who can annoy more people. :-)

Universities are often huge organizations and do all kinds of great and sometimes some not so great things. Don't be surprised. But now we're getting off-topic.

Best,
David Ulevitch