Re: Security problem in PPPoE connection

  • From: Matt Buford
  • Date: Mon Mar 13 17:49:17 2006

From: "Martin Hannigan" <[email protected]>
As well, pvlans are prone to fail if not a forethought of architecture instead of
an after effect. Trying to put legacy networks into a pvlan architecture is like
putting square pegs in round holes.

My experience has been pvlans cause more trouble than they are worth.
Could you elaborate on this a bit? My situation is different, as I am a server hosting provider dealing with thousands of customer servers instead of thousands of customer residential WAN links (and thus, no PPPoE), but so far I've had good results with pvlans and local-proxy-arp. I've found it to be almost a drop-in replacement for large VLANs, solving 95% of the standard huge-l2-network issues with near-zero additional hassle.

Perhaps my different situation avoids whatever issues you ran into. I'm just curious what sort of trouble you had just to make sure I avoid them myself. I've already migrated thousands of customer servers to this over the past few years, but I still have thousands to go. :)