Re: UDP Badness [Was: Re: How to measure network quality&performancefor voip&gameservers (udp packetloss, delay, jitter,...)]

  • From: Bill Nash
  • Date: Fri Mar 10 13:00:39 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 11:52:40AM +0000, tony sarendal wrote:
Does traceroute really do that ? Even for ICMP.
Think about it.

Hint: the return packets your traceroute produces,
do they have the same return path for every hop ?

Think Internet, think large providers with many peerings.
On behalf of every network operator on the planet, I would like to take
this opportunity to encourage every person who implements a traceroute or
traceroute like program to ALWAYS DISPLAY THE SOURCE ADDRESS IN THE OUTPUT
OF THE [email protected]#$%^&

Very few things in life suck more than asymmetric paths + wannabe network
engineers armed with a noc phone number list and traceroute, mtr, or those
wonderful visual traceroute programs that they insist on taking 6MB bmp
screenshots of and sticking into word documents so they can email that as
an attachment.
You will not learn hatred until that MMO you host implements a 'Report network problem' button that does a traceroute, and automatically emails it and a canned message to your NOC mailbox. Ultima Online did this, back in my nocling days. Like monkeys expecting a reward, those little bastards pounded on that button until the lag stopped.

It gave the west coast sucking sound that was Mae-West an entirely different flavor. We could monitoring peering conditions based solely on mailbox volume.

- billn