Re: AW: Italy orders ISPs to block sites

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Tue Mar 07 03:28:26 2006

On 7-mrt-2006, at 9:13, tom wrote:

Hi Folks across the ocean..

I understand, that from an American point of view this kind of restriction
looks strange and is against your act of freedom, however here in Europe
gambling is a state controlled business
It looks strange from the right side of the ocean too, at least to me.

What I don't get is why they think it's ok to limit our freedom of information. If they want to make sure we don't gamble in undesired ways, they should cut off the stuff that matters: the money. There is much more precedent for that.

Imagine, if kids in the US would be able to order Cannabis from Online-shops
in the Netherlands (as it is leaglized there)through mail order? Would you
or your legislation agree to that?
Actually, buying this stuff for personal use isn't really "legal" but there is a policy of not doing anything against it, which obviously boils down to the same thing. Dealing in larger quantities and sending it across the border is a different matter, though. (One of the arguments in favor of this policy is that in countries like France or the US even more people smoke cannabis. I find it hard to believe that this would be physically possible, it seems like half the population uses the stuff over here.)