Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Mon Mar 06 20:25:10 2006

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:05:52 -0500
Daniel Golding <[email protected]> wrote:

> ARIN (and/or RIPE, APNIC) should really use a bit of their budget surplus to
> provide a few grants to economics professors who are experts in commodity
> market issues. As engineers, we grope in the dark concerning fairly well
> established scientific principles we are unfamiliar with. Its like
> reinventing the wheel. :(

For a view by some computer scientists, see:

Yakov Rekhter, Paul Resnick, and Steven M. Bellovin, "Financial
Incentives for Route Aggregation and Efficient Address Utilization in
the Internet," in Proceedings of Telecommunications Policy Research
Conference, Solomons, MD..Also in  Brian Kahin and James H. Keller,
eds., Coordinating the Internet, MIT Press, 1997
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/piara/index.html

We even held a BoF at an IETF, long ago.  The enthusiasm was, shall we
say, underwhelming.