Re: Time for IPv8? (was Re: shim6 @ NANOG)

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Mon Mar 06 06:53:07 2006

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Roland Dobbins wrote:

Given the manifold difficulties we're facing today as a result of these two design decisions (#2 is a 'hidden' reason behind untold amounts of capex and opex being spent in frustratingly nonproductive ways), perhaps it is time to consider declaring the 'Limited-Deployment IPv6 Proof-of-Concept Experiment' to be a success, take the lessons learned (there are a lot more unresolved and potentially problematic issues than those mentioned in this thread) into account and get started on IPv8.
If you want to redesign IPv[4|6] into IPvNG that deals with all known issues - more power to you. But do you really think we can have fully
working prototype and set of RFCs from WG by the time we ran out of
IPv4 addresses?

One of the lessons learned from IPv6 is actually that it takes long
time to agree on changes to TCP/IP stack and even longer before those
changes begin to appear on end-devices. Another lesson is that any
new type of "address" also has associated allocation policy issues
and to get consensus on that in entire world is also very difficult
and takes just as much time.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks