Re: Welcome back, Ma Bell

  • From: Rubens Kuhl Jr.
  • Date: Sun Mar 05 20:08:30 2006

> > What are people worried about here exactly?
>
> The same lack of competition in telecommunications that we had in the 1980s?
>
> Granted, it won't ever be quite *that* bad again, but we're slowly moving
> back towards one monolithic ILEC, and that does worry me.

To worry most is the fact that a single company has all services on a
given area: fixed, wireless, long-distance. I don't think that having
a single fixed-only company throughout the country would be such a big
issue... but having the customer first mile (which some people  call
last mile, although saying customer comes first) and be allowed to
offer LD and wireless is something to be afraid. Be very afraid.

Rubens