Re: shim6 @ NANOG

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Sun Mar 05 17:40:45 2006

Thus spake "Joe Abley" <[email protected]>
Was it not the lack of any scalable routing solution after many years of trying that led people to resort to endpoint mobility in end systems, � la shim6?
Who exactly has been trying to find scalable routing solutions?

IPv6 advocates have been pushing a no-PI model for over a decade because that's what ISPs told them to do. When they found end users didn't like that, they went off and developed what has become shim6 as a poor apology. There has never been any significant work done on replacing CIDR with something that scales better. Every such proposal I've seen has been ignored or brushed aside by folks who've been doing CIDR for their entire careers and refuse to even consider that anything else might be better.

All this time, energy, and thought spent on shim6 would have been better spent on a scalable IDR solution. Luckily, we still have another decade or so to come up with something.