Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Sat Mar 04 11:56:07 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
On 3 mar 2006, at 04.13, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

I would be surprised if Shim6 going into actual deployed boxes was
any faster.  So, if Shim6 was finalized today, which it won't be,
in 2010 we might have 70% deployment and in 2012 we might have 90%
deployment.
OTOH Teredo, which isn't even a standard is in more or less all
Windows XP boxes....

Teredo is described in RFC 4380; it's a Proposed Standard.

I should note that Microsoft really believes in IPv6.  I wonder what
that means for its future....
Let's hope it means that they'll eventually come up with nicer ways to configure IPv6 stacks in Windows flavors than they have this far...