Re: shim6 @ NANOG

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Fri Mar 03 21:06:46 2006

Thus spake "Tony Li" <[email protected]>
I'm more confident that we'll find an answer
to the IDR problem sooner than we'll convince people to act in the good
of the community at their own expense.
The solution to the IDR problem is to have a scalable routing
architecture.  Unfortunately, that involves change from the status quo,
and thus altruistic action.
Not if/when folks understand that the implosion is imminent and the only way to preserve their business is to build a better routing architecture. Only when self-interest and altruism are coincident is the latter consistently achieved.

The alternative, of course, is to wait for IDR to implode and let the
finger-pointing begin.
... which is what I expect to happen. A few folks will see it coming, design a fix, and everyone will deploy it overnight when they discover they have no other choice. Isn't that about what happened with CIDR, in a nutshell?