Re: Cogent Outage

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Mar 02 19:00:30 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 06:41:04PM -0500, David Coulson wrote:

> Apparently Cogent had a fiber cut between Santa Clara and Houston which
> is screwing their network up pretty nicely (I'm seeing 60m of latency
> between two routers in Chicago).

You mean WCG had a fiber cut, just west of Houston. Santa Clara is
completely and totally unrelated as a destination, on anyone's network.
This affects far more than Cogent though.

> Their internal ticket # is 387128.
>
> Is this the second or third this year for them?

Higher.

You can't hold longhaul fiber cuts against Cogent directly though. Stuff
happens. You CAN hold it against them when a single metro cut takes out
half of a longhaul crosscountry ring though, or when two simultanious cuts
segment the network into east and west sides of the country. Thats just
bad planning. :)