Re: Notes on design of IPv6 BGP multihoming with special subrouteattributes (was - Re: Shim6 vs PI addressing)

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Thu Mar 02 12:56:52 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

My thinking was that its a big waste of memory (in the global bgp table) to announce every IPv6 route in full in particular for cases when its sub-allocation and aggregate is already being announced.
Yes, it would be cool if the routers or route servers could automatically detect this and clean up the routing table. Unfortunately:

A --- B
/ \
X Y
\ /
C --- D

If X uses 172.16.1.0/24 but A also announces 172.16.0.0/12, then A or B could decide to suppress the /24. However, Y will see the /24 through D and C but not through B and A, so Y will now send all of its traffic to X through C and D.
If you read through my design, it would be that Y should assume that
aggregate as seen from B is always valid path even if it is not directly indicated by inclusion of special subroute attribute. This maybe both
good and bad as far as such design goes.

But it maybe possible to do limited bgp multi-homing by having such /48 and similar routes included as attributes of the main route, i.e.
A100:1000::/32 route would appear with extended attributes like
Subroutes: 0010/16 (2)
Some years ago, I suggested doing this by adding a bitmap to the aggregate route: a single bit is enough to convey holes in the aggregate, with two or three bits you can also do some traffic engineering. This will get you from a /16 aggregate to individual /24s with 32 bytes (1 bit per more specific) or a /32 to /48s with 8 kilobytes.
Can be done with bitmaps, but unless aggregate is very well filled with sub-allocations, this would be waste of memory too. I think individual subroutes is more reasonable as long as each one can be well compacted
(0010/16 is 16-bits for netblock, max 7 bits for netmask).

Such an approach does depend on relatively tight packing of end-users that share the same ISPs, though.

All these approaches (especially second one) however certain problems when
you have to consider route security & authorization (i.e. SIDR/SBGP space)
IDR security doesn't come cheap anyway: be prepared to double or quadruple your router's memory and install crypto hardware.
Yes, most likely it will require dedicated box to process the security data and verify ip routes (Note: in usual way dedicated box might be represented as being separate card in the router).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks