Re: Shim6 vs PI addressing

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Thu Mar 02 05:12:58 2006

[Pekka, thanks for the Shim6 Summary paper ;) ]

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 14:58 -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > Please don't mix up addressing and routing. "PI addressing" as you
> > mention is addressing. SHIM6 will become a routing trick.
> >
> I think that is overly pessimistic.  I would say that SHIM6 _MAY_
> become a routing trick, but, so far, SHIM6 is a still-born piece
> of overly complicated vaporware of minimal operational value, if any.

Vaporware part is true, upto now, operational value is to be seen.

> Personally, I think a better solution is to stop overloading IDR
> meaning onto IP addresses and use ASNs for IDR and prefixes for
> intradomain routing only.

Did you notice that 32bit ASN's are coming and that IPv4 addresses are
32bits? :) Which effectively means that we are going to route IPv6 with
an IPv4 address space. Or when one would use the 32bit ASN for IPv4:
routing a 32bit address space with an 32bit routing ID. The mere
difference

> > Greets,
> >  Jeroen
> >
> > (who simply would like a policy where endsites that want it could
> > request a /48 or /40 depending on requirements from a dedicated block
> > which one day might be used for identity purposes and not pop up in the
> > bgp tables or whatever we have then anymore....)
> >
> I would, for one.  Policy proposal 2005-1 (I am the author) comes reasonably
> close to that.  It will be discussed at the ARIN policy meeting in
> Montreal in April.

Yep, 2005-1 fits my idea pretty well. Takes care of the folks needing
address space now while being able to use it differently later when it
is needed.

Though as Joe Abley also mentioned (and I also quite a number of times
already ;) anyone with even a vague definition of a plan for 200
customers can get a /32 IPv6 without a problem. Just check the GRH list
for companies in your neighbourhood who did get it.

Greets,
 Jeroen