Re: How do you handle client contact for network abuse/malware compaints etc.?

  • From: Chris Kuethe
  • Date: Wed Mar 01 18:12:42 2006

On 3/1/06, Nicole Harrington <[email protected]> wrote:
>  In short, how much information do you pass on to support yourself and when.

We've found that a simple "we've received complaints about you and
your machine. Go here (symantec, fsecure, windowsupdate, etc) and
patch your machine."  works pretty well. By and large, everyone
replies back with "yeah, I was missing X, Y, and Z patches" or "I
found such-and-such virus and disinfected it".

Maybe one in a few thousand asks for logs. When the user asks for
logs, we're pretty forthcoming with them. They might just have the
same info in their windows/norton/whatever logs already.

In short, we tell them they have a problem, give them the tools to fix
it, and if asked will show them the complaint, but usually that buck
stops with us.

CK