Shim6 vs PI addressing

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Wed Mar 01 12:06:31 2006

--- Joe Abley <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 1-Mar-2006, at 11:22, David Barak wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, the whole reason for these
> > discussions is the insistence on the strict
> > PA-addressing model, with no ability to advertise
> PA
> > space to other providers.
>
> The whole reason for the strict PA-addressing model
> is concern over
> whether open-slather on PI address space will result
> in an Internet
> that will scale.

Is it easier to scale N routers, or scale 10000*N
hosts?  If we simply moved to an "everyone with an ASN
gets a /32" model, we'd have about 30,000 /32s.  It
would be a really long time before we had as many
routes in the table as we do today, let alone the
umpteen-bazillion routes which scare everyone so
badly.

> Joe
>
> (Failing miserably to keep quiet. Must try harder.)

(don't worry - you have content in these posts.
content is always welcome...)

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com