Re: shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Tue Feb 28 12:10:19 2006

On 28-Feb-2006, at 11:52, Kevin Day wrote:

I'm not saying shim6 is flawed beyond anyone being able to use it. I can see many scenarios where it would work great. However, I'm really wary of it becoming the de facto standard for how *everyone* multihomes if they're under a certain size. I'm just bringing up my objections now, so that it's really clear that shim6 doesn't provide what a lot of us smaller networks are doing now in IPv4 land.
These are important things to point out, and I'd encourage you to say them on the shim6 list too.

There are ideas floating around about extending the shim6 such that the protocol between hosts can be mediated by middleboxes, such that site policies can be imposed upon the more opportunistic actions of the end stations. These ideas would have far more currency if it could be shown that they help to meet requirements of operators which are otherwise not addressed.

It seems to me that hosting companies who do not provide access (and hence who don't qualify for PI space under the current harmonised RIR v6 policies) ought to have a lot to say about this, more so than enterprises in some respects (e.g. due to the impact of shim6 state on load balancers and servers).

Joe