Re: Transit LAN vs. Individual LANs

  • From: John Curran
  • Date: Mon Feb 27 13:25:48 2006

>At 4:03 PM -1000 2/24/06, Scott Weeks wrote:
>I have 2 core routers (CR) and 3 access routers (AR) ...

Optimal solution is to dual-home each AR via PTP links
into the CR's.  This has the simplest topology, fewest
components, highest throughput, and highest availability.

The only reason not to do this would the if you have poor
pricing on the CR ports or need a larger number of them:

  Dual-home via PTP:  2 CR ports per AR
  Dual-home to switched LANs: 4 CR ports + switches

If you know you are going to have just a handful of AR's
and have reasonable CR port costs, then the costs will be
similar and you should take the PTP approach.

/John