Re: Quarantine your infected users spreading malware

  • From: Michael Loftis
  • Date: Thu Feb 23 12:19:54 2006

--On February 23, 2006 8:02:31 AM -0600 Jack Bates <[email protected]> wrote:

We allowed users back online to run Housecall at trendmicro for free so
they could get cleaned up and save some money. However, the resuspend
rate was so high, we quickly changed to offline cleanup only. It will
remain until we perfect our auto defense system.

Customers just want things to work. They don't care if they are infected.
It's amazing how many customers swear they aren't scanning or sending
email, and refuse to understand that their computer is capable of doing
things without them knowing.

What doesn't help is the ISPs out there who are complete dolts and first don't verify reports and second false alarm. They'll cut a user off on a single complaint without any evidence or verification. Or worse they have some automated system that false alarms without any way to verify you're cleaned up. And if you can't get online you can't get cleaned up anyway. Catch 22.