Re: Quarantine your infected users spreading malware

  • From: Jason Frisvold
  • Date: Thu Feb 23 09:01:16 2006

On 2/23/06, Andy Davidson <[email protected]> wrote:
> And they don't care !  How is someone else telling them that they
> need a virus checker going to change anything ?

It's not.  That's why services such as AOL integrate it with the
system..  Granted, the user has to initially accept it, but it's a
virtually painless process..  AOL's software does all the work.

If a user has to download each individual program, install it, ensure
it's updated, etc., then they tend to ignore the use of such a
product.  Even mostly-automated updates are a burden for them because
messages pop up now and then telling them that they're not up to date,
warnings about new outbreaks, etc.  Most users don't care one way or
the other and it's simpler for them to ignore the whole situation.

For something like AVG, yes it's free.  But, I don't think that
includes allowing an ISP to package it up and distribute it as a
value-added feature..  Most companies frown on that sort of thing.  I
believe even Microsoft's EULA forbids distributing SP2 without strict
permission.

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold
[email protected]