Re: Quarantine your infected users spreading malware

  • From: Larry Smith
  • Date: Tue Feb 21 11:39:27 2006

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 10:26, Jason Frisvold wrote:
> On 2/21/06, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Oddly enough, AOL and several other large providers seem to have no
> > problems advertising some variant on 'free A/V software'.
>
> Key words there.. "Large Provider" ..  I don't think A/V companies
> have any interest whatsoever in smaller providers..  Just not a big
> enough customer base I guess...
>
> It would be nice to see an A/V provider willing to take that first
> step and offer something like this to providers, regardless of size.
> No packaging needed, so there's a cost savings there for the vendor.
>
> I'm not familiar with how this works in AOL land..  Does the end-user
> need to subscribe to anything other than AOL?  ie, are there any
> "hidden" fees?

The problem with discussing AOL and "large provider" in the same sentence is
that the complete AOL (connection, desktop, tools, etc) function are AOL
controlled (walled garden) so they have the capability of doing much more in
that arena that other providers.

Secondly, to the best of my knowledge,  A/V vendors do make their products
available to "any" provider - it is just that small to medium sized ISP's
cannot justify the cost/benefit ratio and keep their pricing anywhere near
competitive with the "big" boys.  At ten copies a month you get little to no
discount - at 10,000 copies per month you get quite a cut...

--
Larry Smith
SysAd ECSIS.NET