Re: and here are some answers [was: Quarantine your infected usersspreading malware]

  • From: Gadi Evron
  • Date: Tue Feb 21 01:09:45 2006

[email protected] wrote:
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 07:49:04PM -0600, Rob Thomas wrote:

Hey, Bill.

] 	wht is the mean-time-to-infection for a stock windows XP system
] 	when plugged intot he net?... 2-5minutes?  you can't get patches
] 	down that fast.

The same case can be made for Linux and Unix-based web servers with
vulnerable PHP-based tools.  There's also a large number of poorly
configured devices such as routers with easily guessed passwords,
overly permissive DNS name servers, etc.

It's not simply a Windows problem.

Thanks,
Rob.

true enough. but "auntie jane" doesn't have linux/unix web server(s)
or router(s) (other than the one provided by her ISP and managed by them)
and has zero clue about overly permissive <service> machines.

me thinks it is a -much- larger pool that gets taken advantage of
wiht a much higher threshold of ignorance about problems.
--bill
You described it best, and home users are indeed the problem discussed.

However, the amount of insecure routers out there is scary by itself. Rob has a lot more data on that than me and I don't doubt what he said.

--
http://blogs.securiteam.com/

"Out of the box is where I live".
-- Cara "Starbuck" Thrace, Battlestar Galactica.