Re: MLPPP over MPLS

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Fri Feb 17 15:39:45 2006

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Jon R. Kibler wrote:

We have a customer that is implementing an MPLS network that will have 2 to 6 T1 feeds at some locations that will be using MLPPP for channel bonding. This is a telco provided network that will be customer managed.
It's not clear from your message, but I'm assuming the MLPPP will be from PE to CE and that the MPLS you speak of is MPLS VPN. If that's the case, on the customer end, it's just a MLPPP, and on your end, it's an MLPPP with an "ip vrf forwarding foo" statement. It's probably more than the average CCNA can handle (but so are MLPPP, MPLS, and most day to day IOS config work). Anyone who actually uses IOS on a regular basis (as opposed to someone who crammed for an exam and knows squat) should have no trouble with it.

The customer is being told by their router vendor that an MLPPP/MPLS network is 'too complex' to be managed by anyone except for the router vendor's VARs or the telco. They indicated that it would be impossible for the customer's router vendor certified network person to come up to speed on MLPPP/MPLS configurations and manage such a network -- that it takes years to adequately learn how to manage that type of network configuration.
I think someone may be confusing "providing MPLS service" with "buying MPLS service". A customer buying MPLS VPN service never sees any of the MPLS tags or messes with MPLS/tag-switching commands. There is no added complexity...or at least there doesn't need to be any.